Wednesday, July 6

Things That Go Bump in the Night


Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I sometimes get very anxious about whether I'll actually be able to sleep. And, interestingly, it isn't the bumps in the night that keep me up, but they are the very things that bounce me softly off to bed.

BONG

I blame my mother. For being too loving. She sweetly rocked me to sleep each night and would never let me lay down in a fussy fit of baby girl tears.

BONG

People don't think about teaching their first-born self-soothing skills because they know they'll always be around to comfort their baby. To rock her to sleep.

BONG

It isn't until other children come along, that you decide to give into to 20 minutes of wails in order to get 2 hours of winks.

BONG

So, when it came time for me to fall asleep on my own. It made me anxious.

BONG

It's late. I'm not asleep. I have to get up for school. I'm going to be so tired. Everyone else is in bed.

BONG

What if I didn't fall asleep....ever?

BONG

I'm the only one awake.

BONG

So, I love fireworks. With their dancing showers of light that burst forth with the ringing of a cannon and then silently fade back into the quiet night.

BONG

And thunderstorms. That rapidly tap my window with thousands of drippy dollops as my dark room flashes bright and is swaddled in the low sound of thunder reverberating through the night.

BONG

And grandfather clocks.

BONG

Whose steady tick-tocking, deep chimes, and hourly strikes remind throughout the ceaseless night that it won't fall asleep until I do.

BONG

Just like my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment